By Rabindranath Tagore, Radha Chakraborty
The literature of the recent age seeks to not narrate a series of occasions, yet to bare the secrets and techniques of the guts. Such is the narrative mode of Chokher Bali —Rabindranath Tagore, Preface to Chokher Bali
Chokher Bali explores the forbidden feelings unleashed while a gorgeous younger widow enters the probably harmonious global of a newly married couple. This path-breaking novel by way of Rabindranath Tagore weaves a tangled net of relationships among the pampered and self-centred Mahendra, his blameless, childlike bride Asha, their staunch buddy Bihari, and the wily, seductive Binodini, whose arrival transforms the lives of all concerned.
Radha Chakravarty's translation brings the area of Tagore's fiction to lifestyles, in lucid, idiomatic prose.
Read or Download Chokher Bali PDF
Similar india books
1991 used to be India’s ‘Greece moment’. It confronted an unheard of monetary obstacle opposed to the backdrop of political uncertainty and crumbling investor self belief. On 21 June 1991, P. V. Narasimha Rao turned best minister and appointed Dr Manmohan Singh as finance minister. In below thirty-five days, the Rao-Singh duo ushered in momentous alterations in financial policy—those that remodeled the rustic.
Via a close research of the to be had cultural and chronological facts, this ebook overturns conventional principles concerning the cultural background of India and proposes a distinct photo as an alternative. the belief of a unilinear improvement out of Brahmanism, specifically, is challenged.
Osprey's crusade identify for the conflict of Kohima in the course of international struggle II (1939-1945), which stored India from jap assaults. In March 1944 the japanese military introduced Operation U-Go, an assault on Assam in India meant to encourage a emerging by means of the Indian population opposed to British rule. the japanese plan may depend upon mobility, infiltration and captured provides to keep up the momentum of the assault.
The imperial place of abode of Chengde was once equipped by means of Manchu emperors among 1703 and 1780. utilizing either visible and textual fabrics, this quantity explores the hidden dimensions of panorama, displaying how geographical mind's eye formed the aesthetics of Qing courtroom tradition.
- She Will Build Him a City
- Inside The Solid State: The Story of Bharat Electronics
- India Today [IN] (31 August 2015)
- The Kite Runner
- The darker nations: a people's history of the third world
- Sri Lanka in the Modern Age: A History
Extra info for Chokher Bali
5 another. Foure dayes after this uncomfortable separation, in the morning toward ten of the clocke, we had a terrible clap of thunder, which slew foure of our men outright, their necks being wrung in sonder without speaking any word, and of 94 men there was not one untouched, whereof some were stricken blind, others were bruised in their legs and arms, and others ia their brests, so that they voided blood two dayes after, others were drawen out at length, as though they had been racked. But (God be thanked) they all recouered, sauing onely the foure which were slaine outright.
14, p. 319. 8. The eighth voyage, John Saris Lib. iv, caps. 1 and 2. 9. The ninth voyage, Edmund Marlowe cap. 5, p. 440. INTRODUCTION. xvii I take this opportunity of expressing my thanks to Mr. Handcock, of the State Paper Office, for his valuable assistance in deciphering and making abstracts of the earlier logs of the seventeenth century in the India Office. The present volume concludes with a document relating to a very different part of the world, which was, however, very closely connected with the early history of the East India Company.
732. Purchas also gives the journal of the ship Pearl, an interloper (1612), of which Samuel Castleton of London was captain, written by John Tatton, master (iii, cap. xv, p. 328). XVU1 INTRODUCTION. priceless Arctic journals. This one has alone escaped. It was once in the hands of Purchas, for he gives extracts from it occupying 4 j pages ;* and a collation of the original manuscript with his version, affords a good example of the way in which the Rev. Samuel dealt with his materials. Captain Way mouth's Arctic expedition and others, as well as that of Captain Knight, were despatched by the East India Company ; but Captain Knight was originally connected with the Danish expeditions to Greenland of the seventeenth century, and it will be well to glance briefly at his antecedents.
- Download The Voyages of Sir James Lancaster, Kt., to the East Indies: by Clements R. Markham (editor) PDF
- Download Helsreach (Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine Battles) by Aaron Dembski-Bowden PDF