By Thomas R. Mockaitis, Paul B. Rich
This selection of essays examines the strategic dimensions of latest terrorist threats. It evaluates the altering nature of contemporary terrorism within the mild of the occasions of September eleven 2001. the gathering argues that terrorism now offers to go into the terrain of world ''grand strategy''.
Read or Download Grand Strategy in the War Against Terrorism PDF
Best personality books
A brand new York occasions striking ebook for 1998Critical popularity of Lawrence Wright'sA Rhone-Poulenc technological know-how Prize Finalist""This is a e-book approximately way over twins: it truly is approximately what twins can let us know approximately ourselves. ""—The big apple Times""With lots of notable tales in regards to the similarities and variations of twins, Wright respectfully exhibits, too, how their exact situation in lifestyles demanding situations our notions of individuality.
All people desires to be happier and fulfil their power, and for years many self-help books have claimed they be aware of the reply. merely within the final 20 years has confident Psychology began to supply evidence-based rules which were scientifically proven to paintings. during this ebook psychotherapist, lecturer and lifestyles trainer Tim LeBon indicates you the way you should use the instruments coming from optimistic Psychology to accomplish your ambitions.
Advances in Experimental Social Psychology is still essentially the most wanted and most of the time stated sequence during this box. Containing contributions of significant empirical and theoretical curiosity, this sequence represents the simplest and the brightest in new study, concept, and perform in social psychology.
- Partner Violence: A New Paradigm for Understanding Conflict Escalation
- The Drug User: Personality Issues, Factors, and Theories An Annotated Bibliography
- The Invisible Man: A Self-help Guide for Men With Eating Disorders, Compulsive Exercise and Bigorexia
- Social Motivation: Conscious and Unconscious Processes
Extra resources for Grand Strategy in the War Against Terrorism
24. Tauris 2000) p. 283. 25. Stephen Flynn, ‘The Unguarded Homeland: A Study in Benign Neglect’, in Hodge and Rose (note 11) p. 187. 26. Robert Thompson, Defeating Communist Insurgency: Experiences from Malaya and Vietnam (London: Chatto and Windus 1966). 27. See Mockaitis, British Counterinsurgency (note 4). 28. Text of bin Laden’s taped remarks, Associated Press, APTV–10–07–01. 29. Fouad Ajami, ‘The Uneasy Imperium: Pax Americana in the Middle East’, in Hodge and Rose (note 11) p. 16. 30. Gregory Gause III, ‘The Kingdom in the Middle: Saudi Arabia’s Double Game’, in Hodge and Rose (note 11) p.
The government may be tempted to opt for highly dramatic but largely ineffective (and perhaps counterproductive) actions. The party in power may also use the war on terrorism to push its own agenda. Finally, in their zeal to arrest terrorist suspects, law enforcement organizations may target innocent citizens who belong to the ‘wrong’ ethnic group. Such action will not elicit the cooperation of these citizens, who probably have the background knowledge and language skills to help authorities catch the real terrorists.
All of these elements make the organization vulnerable if they can be understood and exploited. Understanding depends on intelligence, which can best be gathered from erstwhile supporters. Supporters will defect only if they believe that they have more to gain from the opponents of Al Qaeda than they do from the organization. Counter-terrorists stand an even better chance of weaning away the soft support surrounding the hardcore insurgents. People generally support an insurgency out of a shared sense of wrong or frustration at not having their basic needs met.
- Download The Longest Way Home by Robert Silverberg PDF
- Download Learning to Teach Science in the Secondary School: A by Jenny Frost PDF