By Clements R. Markham (editor)
The courses of the Hakluyt Society (founded in 1846) made to be had edited (and occasionally translated) early money owed of exploration. the 1st sequence, which ran from 1847 to 1899, involves a hundred books containing released or formerly unpublished works via authors from Christopher Columbus to Sir Francis Drake, and masking voyages to the recent international, to China and Japan, to Russia and to Africa and India. This quantity, first released in 1877, includes 4 modern bills of the voyages of Sir James Lancaster (c. 1555-1618) among 1591 and 1600 including the magazine of Captain John Knight from his 1606 voyage to find the 'North-West Passage'. Sir James Lancaster was once one of many major investors and explorers of the Elizabethan period, whose first voyage to India in 1591 used to be instrumental in constructing the East India corporation in 1600.
Read or Download The Voyages of Sir James Lancaster, Kt., to the East Indies: With Abstracts of Journals of Voyages to the East Indies During the Seventeenth Century, Preserved in the India Office, and the Voyage of Captain John Knight (1606), to Seek the North-West Passa PDF
Similar india books
1991 used to be India’s ‘Greece moment’. It confronted an extraordinary monetary trouble opposed to the backdrop of political uncertainty and crumbling investor self belief. On 21 June 1991, P. V. Narasimha Rao turned top minister and appointed Dr Manmohan Singh as finance minister. In below thirty-five days, the Rao-Singh duo ushered in momentous adjustments in financial policy—those that reworked the rustic.
Via a close research of the on hand cultural and chronological info, this booklet overturns conventional rules concerning the cultural historical past of India and proposes a distinct photograph as a substitute. the belief of a unilinear improvement out of Brahmanism, particularly, is challenged.
Osprey's crusade name for the conflict of Kohima in the course of global conflict II (1939-1945), which kept India from eastern assaults. In March 1944 the japanese military introduced Operation U-Go, an assault on Assam in India meant to motivate a emerging through the Indian population opposed to British rule. the japanese plan may depend on mobility, infiltration and captured provides to take care of the momentum of the assault.
The imperial place of dwelling of Chengde was once outfitted by means of Manchu emperors among 1703 and 1780. utilizing either visible and textual fabrics, this quantity explores the hidden dimensions of panorama, displaying how geographical mind's eye formed the aesthetics of Qing court docket tradition.
- Mapping Subaltern Studies and the Postcolonial
- Low Intensity Conflicts in India : An Analysis
- From the Black Sea through Persia and India
- The Seven Sisters: Kitchen Tales From The North East
- Difficult Daughters
Extra info for The Voyages of Sir James Lancaster, Kt., to the East Indies: With Abstracts of Journals of Voyages to the East Indies During the Seventeenth Century, Preserved in the India Office, and the Voyage of Captain John Knight (1606), to Seek the North-West Passa
5 another. Foure dayes after this uncomfortable separation, in the morning toward ten of the clocke, we had a terrible clap of thunder, which slew foure of our men outright, their necks being wrung in sonder without speaking any word, and of 94 men there was not one untouched, whereof some were stricken blind, others were bruised in their legs and arms, and others ia their brests, so that they voided blood two dayes after, others were drawen out at length, as though they had been racked. But (God be thanked) they all recouered, sauing onely the foure which were slaine outright.
14, p. 319. 8. The eighth voyage, John Saris Lib. iv, caps. 1 and 2. 9. The ninth voyage, Edmund Marlowe cap. 5, p. 440. INTRODUCTION. xvii I take this opportunity of expressing my thanks to Mr. Handcock, of the State Paper Office, for his valuable assistance in deciphering and making abstracts of the earlier logs of the seventeenth century in the India Office. The present volume concludes with a document relating to a very different part of the world, which was, however, very closely connected with the early history of the East India Company.
732. Purchas also gives the journal of the ship Pearl, an interloper (1612), of which Samuel Castleton of London was captain, written by John Tatton, master (iii, cap. xv, p. 328). XVU1 INTRODUCTION. priceless Arctic journals. This one has alone escaped. It was once in the hands of Purchas, for he gives extracts from it occupying 4 j pages ;* and a collation of the original manuscript with his version, affords a good example of the way in which the Rev. Samuel dealt with his materials. Captain Way mouth's Arctic expedition and others, as well as that of Captain Knight, were despatched by the East India Company ; but Captain Knight was originally connected with the Danish expeditions to Greenland of the seventeenth century, and it will be well to glance briefly at his antecedents.
- Download Travels in Kashmir : A Popular History of Its People, Places by Brigid Keenan PDF
- Download Chokher Bali by Rabindranath Tagore, Radha Chakraborty PDF